Sunday, August 10, 2008

Melting moments

I really have to stop with the cheesy headings...but then why...it's who I am. :-) So as you may have guessed today was another fun filled time melting silver and seeing what sort of shapes I could create. There's one thing I have learned about water casting...never have a plan in mind! It just doesn't work that way...they are organic shapes dictated by the temperature of the water, the rate of pour, how much silver you are using...oh and pure dumb luck...sometimes. I melted and I poured, melted again, poured, melted again, poured. Are you getting the picture? I didn't want to give up my idea and I'm stubborn. However hunger finally got the best of me and I put the torch aside in favour of dinner. So I didn't take any photos of my castings today...they were okay but not what I was hoping for. Tomorrow I'll look at the same pieces and absolutely love them. Fickle characters some of us creative types are! I did start out the day taking photos, first the bracelet for my "Basic silver smithing" class at the Fraser Valley Bead Show. After I was finished what was supposed to be done I took some photos of a new water cast ring and of a ring that I made about 3 weeks ago. The stone in the water cast is a champagne cz and the stone in the larger ring is citrine.



The photos aren't the best but if I spent the time making sure they were perfect...well you know my problem...they would never be good enough!

I'm quite excited about my current projects. Well it's a bittersweet excitement. Two of our work mates at Capilano Rock and Gem are leaving us at the end of the week. Alla has her first full time position in her new chosen career and Leah is leaving to go to university in Prince George. I am of course happy for them but I will miss their smiling faces at work. Oh yes...the part I'm excited about...I'm making each of them a ring...they know all about it because I needed their ring sizes. It's difficult to be sneaky about that, I mean how do you fit that one into a conversation. I prefer the direct approach...just ask! It was a bumpy start getting the sizes right but that's history and so far it's working out great. I'll post photos later.

Well it's that time when all good bees should be getting ready for sleep. Another day, another blog post (yeah) and .... well I don't know the rest...that's tomorrow.

No comments: