Thursday, May 08, 2008

Who says bigger isn't better?

Today I invested in a new rawhide hammer. Actually I exchanged the very small one, 4 ounces, I had purchased a little while ago and never used for a much larger one, 11 ounces. I had the opportunity to try out a larger hammer the other evening and was genuinely surprised how much more of a punch it packed. I just never really thought about it before. With this larger rawhide hammer I can shape silver on ring or bracelet mandrels much easier and faster. I expend less energy and use less time. Not that big a deal but when you are trying to shape a thicker piece of silver to the mandrel it is nice to have one blow do the work of 4 or 5 before. So I ask again...who says bigger isn't better?

So my recommendation for rawhide hammers is purchase a larger one if you are working a large number of ring shanks of 20 gauge or heavier. If you are just using it for flattening pieces of wire or links then the mid-size, 6 ounces, is just fine. Actually the mid-size will work for shaping ring shanks or bracelets but it will take longer, a lot more energy, oh and a lot more hammering noise. Which may or may not be a big deal but if you have neighbours above or below...I suspect that they'll appreciate it. :-)

No comments: