Sunday, May 04, 2008

Gypsies have Hart...or is it need Hart (burs)?

I know...really bad play on words...couldn't resist it though.

I picked up some new burs on Friday from Capilano Rock and Gem. A few Hart burs, inside ring file burs and some drill bits. I've seen the inside ring burs used before and briefly tried one but now I have my own to play with. I love them! I have the fine and extra fine burs which are great for the inside of the ring shanks when you have extra metal you want to file down quickly and evenly. You won't use them all the time but it's one of those things that you'll be glad that you have when you need it. Like the little square that I use to make sure that I've filed in a straight line.

I've been putting in as much time as I could this weekend on silver smithing. I thought that I should have more to show for it but I did spend a lot of time following the winding path of curiosity. It's one of favourite things to do with the silver smithing but in terms of productivity it really slows things down. Still it is how we learn new things.

The big new technique I learned this weekend is a gypsy setting. The stone is set flush with the surface of the silver. I did a trial run using half round wire which was close but not quite right. I decided I should try making a plain ring band with one gypsy setting. I carefully did all drilling using a drill bit and then one of my new Hart burs and when I put the stone, a cubic zirconia, in I heard this satisfying little click! That means I'm on the right track...feeling rather proud of myself I started to bend the silver into a ring shank. It promptly broke in half...apparently you are supposed to set the stone after you make the ring or use much thicker silver. Not one to be discouraged I took an old ring shank that was destined for the scrap heap, soldered another piece of silver onto the shank for thickness then tried the setting again. It worked this time! And I began to totally get what the instructions were telling me...amazing how that works. I don't have a photo of this masterpiece...obviously my humble opinion...but when I do I'll post it. :-) I also set several other cabochons...little itty bitty ones. Part of the stacking ring series. I know that everyone does it but they are hard to resist...it's the cute factor.

No comments: